What was 2012 for you?
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I went vegan…ish.
I had a holiday romance.
I wasn’t afraid to say NO.
I decided I liked dates. The fruit. AND EVEN FIGS. DRIED ONLY.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any resolutions. This year, I am launching a Happiness Project. It is the second day of the year and I still haven’t decided on the themes but, you know, whatever.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one close, but people I know.
5. What countries did you visit?
Bali, baby! Baby coconuts, electric-green rice-fields, cocktails, temples, monkeys, surfers, nom nom nom, getting a good feeling, sunsets, thunderstorms, offerings to the gods, speaking Indo, private pools, accidental bikini wax duets, mani-pedis, the list goes on…
6. What would you like to have had in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Kisses! And moneyyyy. And partying! I will NOT be saying this in one year!!
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
March 13th when I moved to Australia. November 13th when I went to Bali. The birth dates of my lovers. The last three guys I dated had birthdays while I was with them. That’s funny.
I gave a much more detailed account of this last year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I suppose I should say getting into Melbourne University. I applied on a whim.
But actually, my greatest achievement this year has been finding the strength to hope again, to keep trying to do life, whatever that means. Also, I am learning how to give more without sacrificing myself. I became a lot more assertive this year but also more accepting.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m not sure I believe in failures anymore. But for the sake of the question, I would have to say that I didn’t manage to keep my body in shape.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Some stomach issues. Unforch. Several times.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
J’adore my iPhone, Xavier. Some much needed clothes. And my bindhis.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Every beautiful soul I’ve had the pleasure of meeting this year. And the beautiful souls that stick around. For loving me and holding the space. And my mother’s, always, for listening without waiting, for giving without expecting.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
No one’s. If someone lets me down, I try to let it go. No point in holding on. No expectations, no disappointments.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel. Good food.Bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
BALI!! And uni. And new friends.
16. What song will always remind of you 2012?
Je Pense a Toi by Amadou and Mariam.
Get a Good Feeling by Flo Rida.
We Found Love by Rihanna.
What Reminds Me by Royskopp.
A Good Year for the Roses by Elvis Costello.
Acapella by Kelis.
The Art of Noise by Cee-lo and Pharell Williams.
Rainbow Warriors and Terrible Angels by Cocorosie.
Ugly Girl by Fiona Apple.
Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell.
Call Your Girlfriend by Robyn.
Gravity by Sara Bareilles.
Baby It’s You by The Shirelles.
Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover by Simon and Garfunkel
17. Compared to this time last year, are:
a)happier or sadder?
b)thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Been kinder to myself. WORKED OUT. Yoga and meditation. Laughed.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watching TV. And procrastinating, GOD. Stressing.
20. Did you fall in love in 2010?
No, but that’s okay.
21. What was your favourite TV program?
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
23. What was the best book you read?
A Spy in the House of Love by Anais Nin and Answered Prayers by Truman Capote.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
25. What did you want and get?
To get into uni. A holiday romance. Score!
26. What did you want and not get?
For life to magically get easier. To be saved. But I don’t want that anymore. At least, not in the same way.
27. What was your favourite film of this year?
I don’t think I watched any. The Bachelorette maybe.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27. For the first time ever, I decided not to celebrate. I think I wanted to see what people would do. The answer is- not much. Now I don’t even remember what I did. I’ll make up for it this year!
29. How you would describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Colour, colour, colour! I dress younger. I experiment more. I’ve also gone back to my boho roots.
30. What kept you sane?
Meeting people who GET IT. Writing. The idea of perseverance. Awakening.
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
32. Who did you miss?
Most people I love.
33. Who was the best new person you met?
Karin, Ellie, Sarah, Indra, Talitha, Hamish.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
That all you can do is to keep going. And you do that by taking it one day at a time. Also, I’m not weak- life is fucking hard. And it’s not about being happy, but being alive.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.